I came across a government document by this title a while back. It is a guide developed by the DIA in 2002 with the Defense Personnel Security Research Center to help finger anti-American spies. The introduction says that 80% of known spies demonstrated "one or more" conditions or certain behaviors before they turned to espionage. What are some of the characteristics of the spies? They proceed to list and categorize them. Remember, 80% of anti-American spies demonstrate at least one of these traits. (Much of the list is laughable if not downright ridiculous. But here are a few gems):
- Repeated irresponsibility.
- Extreme immaturity.
- Showing unusual interest in information outside the job scope.
- Appearing intoxicated at work.
- Going "on and off the wagon".
- Concealing alcohol at work or in the car.
- Unexplained changes in mood.
- Changes in personal hygiene.
- Disloyalty toward the U.S.
- Leaks to media.
Drinking too much? Guess what, you're a terrorist!
Having a bad day? Guess what, you're a terrorist!
Unpatriotic? ... terrorist!
Leaking our fabricated intelligence stories to the press? ... terrorist!
Going "on and off the wagon"? (Wait, what?) Oh well ... terrorist!